153.1 Merejkowski "Death of the Gods" first ed.

DCHOCK7 at aol.com DCHOCK7 at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 20:45:44 EST 2004

I have a first of this in DJ. It is identical to the Number 4 binding, except
that there are two short horizontal lines separating the title and author at
the top of the spine. Both the book and DJ have Spring 1929 titles listed (no
Chaucer). I would speculate having the tree at the base of the spine makes it
a later binding.
Pete

The note for 153.1 dust jacket image on dogeared.com says that the true first
for this title is in the transitional binding.  The dogeared piece on
transitional bindings lists several types, but I have a copy of 153.1 that doesn't
seem to fit.</DIV>
 <DIV> </DIV>
 <DIV>My copy is stated as a first on the reverse of the title page, and the
catalog at the end of the book is correct for a spring, 1929 printing (I don't
have a dj).  However, the binding is not one of the "transitional" bindings
as described in the dogeared piece.  Rather it is a different form of the
normal #5 binding.  It is green in color, has the tree colophon at the base of the
spine, has a gold rather than blind stamped torchbearer, but has Bernhard
rather than Kent endpapers.  So, is this a transitional binding (since it doesn't
match the description for a regular #5 because of Bernhard endpapers) and a
first, or do I have a non-first here?</DIV>
 <DIV> </DIV></DIV>
 <DIV>Ron Thoman</DIV>
 <DIV><A HREF="mailto:rgthoman at earthlink.net">rgthoman at earthlink.net</A></DIV>
 <DIV> </DIV>