pricing chronology

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Mar 14 20:19:55 EST 2004

>From the beginning of the 1947 chapter of my bibliography:

Price: $1.10 (January-14 April); $1.25 (15 April-December).
Three of the spring titles (Introduction to Aristotle, The
Best Short Stories of Bret Harte, and The Eustace Diamonds)
were published at $1.10. The Best of S. J. Perelman (395)
and Caldwell, Tobacco Road (397) did not appear until May
and were published with $1.25 price stickers on the jacket
flaps. All of the fall titles were published at $1.25.

Barry Neavill

P.S.  The $1.10 price was introduced in November 1946, so it
didn't last long.