Reading early and arcane MLs

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Mar 11 11:59:40 EST 2004

Greg Brister wonders why the ML never published Dorothy
Richardson's Pilgrimage.

There's a 1934 letter in the RH archives from Dale Warren of
Houghton Mifflin Co. in which he suggests that Cerf consider
a ML edition of  Pilgrimage, the sequence of novels
published in the U.S. by Alfred A. Knopf. Warren notes, "The
whole stream of consciousness business was really started by
Dorothy Richardson" and adds, "I should think you could buy
the rights for a song, and get some sale--although you would
of course be making one of those superb gestures for which
the Cerf-Klopfer twins are justly noted."

Cerf never seriously considered the suggestion.  He replied
that Klopfer would take up the matter with Warren when he
was in Boston the following month. He then jokes: "My secret
hunch is that Houghton Mifflin have a set of plates of this
lemon somewhere on the premises and are trying to pawn them
off on unsuspecting and naive young lads like ourselves."

Barry Neavill