Reading early and arcane MLs

Jgbrister at aol.com Jgbrister at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 10:31:07 EST 2004

Ron,

As a PhD candidate studying literary modernism, I can tell you that Sinclair
is famous for being the first to use Henry James's psychological term "stream
of consciousness" in a critical article about fiction (she was writing about
Dorothy Richardson, whose _Pilgrimage_ is considered to be the first "stream"
novel by date--1913.   It's a wonder why the ML didn't publish any of
Richardson's books . . .).   In any case, the publication of Sinclair seems to be in
keeping with the trend to publish novels like _Portrait of the Artist_,
_Ulysses_, and Woolf's stuff at the time.   Most of Sinclair's stuff is out of print
now, as far as I know.   One of the fantastic things about the ML is the way is
has kept affordable (and relatively) accessible some of these vanguard texts
that have fallen by the wayside.

Greg Brister
List Lurker, first time replier
Lawrence, KS