125.1 FMLEd or not?

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed Mar 10 23:23:41 EST 2004

The ML edition of Gissing's NEW GRUB STREET, along with
Joyce's DUBLINERS, was published in late December 1926. NEW
GRUB STREET was listed in the December 25, 1926 "Weekly
Record" listing of new publications in Publishers' Weekly;
DUBLINERS was listed in the "Weekly Record" of January 1,
1927.  Both had spring 1927 lists at the end of the volumes
(including Hudson, PURPLE LAND but not JUDE THE OBSCURE).
The DUBLINERS jacket had a fall 1926 list, the NEW GRUB
STREET jacket had a spring 1927 list.

The FMLE statement was retained on at least one additional
printing of NEW GRUB STREET. This printing is 8 pages
shorter, ends with the last page of text (552), and omits
the list of titles at the end; there is also a different
publisher's note facing the title page.

Barry Neavill