125.1 FMLEd or not?

Ron Thoman rgthoman at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 10 18:55:58 EST 2004

Back in February Berry Neavill gave the reply below (re. my question on
Turgenev's "Smoke" regarding stated 1919 books issued in 1920 and stated
1920 books issued in 1921.

Now I have another, similar question.  I have a copy of Gissing's "New Grub
Street" (125.1), spine 4, which states itself as a "First Modern Library
Edition 1926" and introduction copyright 1926, but the catalog at the back
includes some (but not all) of the titles listed in the Guide as issued in
1927.

Is this the same situation as it was with "Smoke", i.e. what I have is a
first edition but it is a stated 1926 book issued in 1927?  Or in this case
is what I have not a first and FLMEd statement incorrect?

And is this so with other years issues shown in the guide beside 1919/20,
and 1920/21?

Ron Thoman

Ron Thoman
rgthoman at earthlink.net