Dogeared and the Internet Archive

Michael Watson archetype at 20ants.com
Fri Jul 30 17:23:07 EDT 2004

Keep in mind that the Internet Archive is built for maximum storage and not
maximum speed. Retrieval is sometimes quite slow, so be patient.

-Michael

At 11:29 PM 7/29/2004, GORDON NEAVILL wrote:
>I'm saddened to learn of the forthcoming disappearance of
>Dogeared.com, which has been an extraordinary resource for
>Modern Library collectors and has done a great deal to
>inform and guide all of us interested the collecting Modern
>Library books.  I'm grateful to Scot Kamins for the years
>of "slave labor" he put in to create and develop the site,
>and wish him well in his future endeavors.
>
>Dogeared may no longer be an active website, but thanks to
>the Internet Archive the information we have come to rely on
>will not cease to be available.  This extraordinary project
>has been systematically archiving websites since 1996 and
>currently consists of 30 billion web pages -- including, I'm
>happy to report, Dogeared.com.  In fact, the Internet
>Archive allows you to see what websites looked like at
>frequent intervals, almost like reading back issues of a
>newspaper.  You can follow the evolution of Dogeared.com
>(and just about any other site you can think of) from 1996
>to the present.  If you go to http://www.archive.org and
>search for dogeared.com you will find 64 downloads of the
>website, beginning with one download in 1996 and eighteen in
>2003.  Scot's efforts and those of collectors who
>contributed to the site will remain part of the historical
>record.
>
>You don't need to download material from Dogeared over the
>next month; it will remain accessible on the Internet
>Archive.
>
>Barry Neavill
>

>Gordon B. Neavill
>Associate Professor
>Library and Information Science Program
>Wayne State University
>Detroit, MI 48202
>aa3401 at wayne.edu

20 Ants
5709 Broadway St. Indianapolis IN 46220-2569

   Books & materials subject to prior sale, order by e-mail or telephone.
   Prices are net USD, payment by PayPal to archetype at 20ants.com,
   or international money order/check with order. Indiana pays 6% tax.
   Institutions invoiced. Books returnable in 10 days: contact us first.
   Domestic S&H: $3.50 1st book, $1.00 per additional book by USPS
   at Media rate. International, Priority Mail, or other carrier by quotation.
   books, individually and in lots,  specialties are non-fiction & literature
   Member: Independent Online Booksellers Association (IOBA)