Dogeared and the Internet Archive

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Fri Jul 30 00:29:04 EDT 2004

I'm saddened to learn of the forthcoming disappearance of
Dogeared.com, which has been an extraordinary resource for
Modern Library collectors and has done a great deal to
inform and guide all of us interested the collecting Modern
Library books.  I'm grateful to Scot Kamins for the years
of "slave labor" he put in to create and develop the site,
and wish him well in his future endeavors.

Dogeared may no longer be an active website, but thanks to
the Internet Archive the information we have come to rely on
will not cease to be available.  This extraordinary project
has been systematically archiving websites since 1996 and
currently consists of 30 billion web pages -- including, I'm
happy to report, Dogeared.com.  In fact, the Internet
Archive allows you to see what websites looked like at
frequent intervals, almost like reading back issues of a
newspaper.  You can follow the evolution of Dogeared.com
(and just about any other site you can think of) from 1996
to the present.  If you go to http://www.archive.org and
search for dogeared.com you will find 64 downloads of the
website, beginning with one download in 1996 and eighteen in
2003.  Scot's efforts and those of collectors who
contributed to the site will remain part of the historical
record.

You don't need to download material from Dogeared over the
next month; it will remain accessible on the Internet
Archive.

Barry Neavill

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor