ML Dogeared Going Dark at End of August

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Thu Jul 29 19:14:49 EDT 2004

Folks,

I'm sad to announce that the Modern Library Website and its attendant
databases at Dogeared will go off-line permanently at the end of
August. I no longer have the interest to maintain it.

ML Dogeared was never intended to be a an archive. It was supposed to
be a living Website continually updated with new information. I can't
find anyone with the time and interest to maintain it in the way that
I would want it to be maintained. Rather than allow it to be on-line
but moribund, I'm taking it down.

I really enjoyed assembling it over the years. It really was great
fun, and I had a chance to interact quite regularly with some great
people. I couldn't have done it without folks like Henry Toledano,
Amy Comeau, Sharon Biederman, John Krygier, Joe Hill, John Wolansky,
Matthew Buckingham, Barry Neavill, Pete Chocheles, Sam Gottlieb, and
many others.

I'm announcing this a month in advance so that folks who want to
download articles or particular images can do so before they
disappear. PLEASE DO NOT WHACK THE ENTIRE IMAGE DATABASE - the
resulting charges to me by the hosting company are quite expensive.

As far as I know, there are no plans to take down this ListServ,
which is maintained by John Krygier. Also, my personal e-mail address
will continue to be kamins at dogeared.com.

Thanks to all,

"Modern Library books are intended to be read and not just to be
stuck away in bookcases like old sets of Balzac and Victor Hugo..."
                    - Bennett Cerf