Kipling's Soldiers Three

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Jul 17 09:29:23 EDT 2004

I need help locating an early printing of Kipling's SOLDIERS
THREE so I can include it in my ML bibliography.  This is
one of the very few gaps (that I'm aware of) remaining in
the bibliography.

SOLDIERS THREE was one of the first 12 ML titles published
in 1917.  I have the first printing with the unruled title
page, and I've seen the 1919 printing with the pictorial
Brodzky title page reproduced on p. 77 of The Modern Library
Price Guide.

Between these there would have been one or more printings
with the following features:

Plain (unruled) binding (binding 1 Price Guide p. 77)
Simulated marbled endpaper (endpaper A Price Guide p. 77)
Title page enclosed in double rules
Probably an early ML list facing the title page

Copies with the pictorial Brodzky endpaper and a ML list at
the end of the volume are later--I've seen these.

If anyone has a copy of SOLDIERS THREE with the features
noted above I would be profoundly grateful to know about it!

Many thanks,
Barry
Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor