ID 1st Turgenev "Smoke"

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Fri Feb 13 17:16:09 EST 2004

You have the first printing of Turgenev's SMOKE.  SMOKE was
actually published in spring 1920, along with most of the
other titles listed as 1919 titles in Henry's Guide.  (Many
of these books are dated 1919 but didn't actually appear
until 1920; most of the titles Henry lists for 1920 actually
appeared in 1921.)

There were 12 distinct lists of titles in ML books published
by Boni and Liveright.  I call these lists A-L.  Lists A-E
appeared opposite the title page; lists F-L appeared in the
back matter.  The titles in lists F-G are identical; list F
has a jagged rule below the heading "Modern Library of the
World's Best Books" and list G has a double rule below the
heading.  Both of these lists occupy 6 pages.

The list at the end of the first printing of SMOKE is the
one I call list G.  The blurb before the catalog is the one
I call "pub. note B2"; the 4-line pub. note facing the title
page (Turn to the end of this | volume for a complete | list
of titles in the | Modern Library) is pub. note A1.

Barry Neavill