New Features for Dogeared Members

John Krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Fri Dec 31 09:18:24 EST 2004

On Dec 30, 2004, at 11:19 AM, Ronald Thoman wrote:

> As to author bio and book content/review links priorities, I would
> suggest
> that we do the more obscure authors/books first since it is often
> harder to
> find information on them than it is on the more well known authors.
> For
> example, W. L. George and "Bed of Roses", 75.1.

This example raises the shocking point that the internet
is not always the best source of information, and sometimes
actual books have to be consulted!

George was a Brit raised in Paris, returned to England in
his 20s (English was his second language) as a journalist
and wrote "A Bed of Roses" - story of a poor widow who turns
to prostitution to survive.  It was his first novel.  His
other fiction & nonfiction wander thru issues of pacifism,
labor issues, feminist issues.  From "Edwardian Fiction: An
Oxford Companion" (a really useful guide).

jk