Designations for spine #9 + "blindstamped"

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Dec 14 22:34:10 EST 2004

Binding 8 was used through 1962; I don't know of any 1963 printings with
this design.  Lettering on the spine and front panel is stamped in gold,
enclosed in a gold frame; the background within the spine and front panel
frames is stamped in a color that contrasts with the cloth.  Binding 9,
introduced in spring 1963, confined gold stamping to the spine, omitted the
contrasting color, and blind stamped the oval ML device on the front panel.
The motivation was economic, not aesthetic--omitting gold on the front panel
and color within the frames saved a lot of money.  This design was appeared
on new titles published through September 1963 (Euripides III).  All
subsequent fall 1963 titles appeared in binding 11 with a new spine design
and the hexagonal torchbearer blind stamped on the front panel.  Reprints of
many older titles appeared in binding 10, which combines the old spine
design with the blind-stamped hexagonal torchbearer of binding 11.  It took
time to manufacture new dies for the spines of all of ML titles.  Until new
dies in the style of binding 11 were made, reprints of older titles
continued to use existing dies that characterize bindings 8-10.

I vote with B on both questions.  Blindstamping by definition doesn't use
color or gold.  As far as spines are concerned, spines for individual titles
may vary in terms of spacing and the number of dot, but since the spines of
bindings 9-10 are stamped with the same dies used for binding 8, successive
printings of the same title are likely to have identical spines.