Designations for spine #9 + "blindstamped"

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Dec 14 21:15:29 EST 2004

Folks,

Another ListServ member and I have been having a discussion about
what differentiates a spine #9 from a spine #8.

_A_ holds that the #8 has a rectangular field with a gilt outline and
colored in some contrasting way from the rest of the binding; within
that colored field is the title and author's name in gold. The #9
spine is distinguished by spacing elements plus a pair of dots.

_B_ agrees on the #8 designation, but says that the #9's
distinguishing element is the lack of contrasting color in the field
- the spacing and the dot devices have no relevance.

We also disagree about the definition of blindstamping.

_A_ says that blindstamping is any impression into the binding with
or without color, gilding, or the like.

_B_ says that blindstamping by definition has no color - it is an
impression into the binding without any color or gilding.

What say ye?
--
      `\|||/                     Scot Kamins
       (@@)