Schreiner "Story of an African Farm" HC DJ

John Krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Sun Dec 12 21:44:56 EST 2004

On Dec 12, 2004, at 9:18 PM, GORDON NEAVILL wrote:

> I have a hardcover Story of an African Farm in dj -- also
> spring 1941 -- only the inset panel of mine is gray rather
> than brown as John's appears in the scan.  Is it the scan,
> or are there variant jackets?

Mine is grayish - the scan made it look more brownish than
it actually is.

The HC Schreiner is one of a dozen titles that were converted
into the new hard cover format in 1939-40, only to be
discontinued within a few years (with Toledano values, ranked
here from lower to higher):

	Edmonds: Rome Haul (L)

	Cabel: Jurgen (M)
	Feuchtwanger: Power (M)
	Gissing: New Grub Street (M)
	Schreiner: Story of an African Farm (M)

	France: Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard (N)
	Gissing: Private Papers of Henry Ryecroft (N)

	Hart: War in Outline (O)
	Stendahl: Charterhouse of Parma (O)
	Sudermann: Song of Songs (O)

	Huneker: Painted Veils (P)

I think this is all of the early 1940s discontinued titles (I
am not counting titles that were originally issued as 1sts in
HC, like Fineman).

As none are firsts, they are more rare than valuable - but they
are, as a group, a horribly obscure bunch of HC MLs.

I am wondering if Barry has a comment on the relative scarcity
of these HC titles, or production numbers.  I have all but the
Edmonds & France in DJs.

John K.