Tracking anomalies

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Mon Dec 6 02:28:36 EST 2004

At 11:22 PM -0500 12/5/04, Michael wrote:
>I propose that someone (like Otscay Aminskay) create a repository on
>dogeared for variations and anomalies which are, in effect, updates
>or additions to the Toledano book.
>
>Henry's book is a most excellent and thorough reference, but
>continued puttering about with this Modern Library stuff reveals the
>occasional volume or dust jacket that doesn't conform to the known
>standards. Seems like we need a reference on the site where such
>anomalies are documented in some sort of organized way. The paying
>member of dogeared.com could refer to this section of the site to
>pencil in known differences or errata to his/her Toledano book.
>
>My contribution of the moment:
>I've got a Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson with a #9 or #10 spine,
>but the same blind cover stamp as the earlier printing with the #8
>spine.

Well, let's think about this. We already have a corrections,
additions, and extensions page for the Guide, of course:
http://www.dogeared.com/Paper/tole2000Fixes.html

You're talking about a registry of anomalies for dust jackets and
bindings, eh? That could be interesting to see what kinds of patterns
emerge.

  But the description of the one you mention confuses me: the #9 & 10
spines lasted only a year or so in 1963. It was distinguished from
the #8 spine by blind-stamping as opposed to the outline stamping of
the #8. So I don't know what you mean. Can you send me some scans?
(Do it directly to me since you can't send binaries to this listserv.)

Typically in a transition period you'll have old leftover stock mixed
with newer stock, or old ideas mixed with newer ones until a basic
design gets settled on.

--
  Scot Kamins, FCB-0

Have you joined Dogeared yet?  Gain access to over 1600 dust jacket
images and information about over 800 book titles & more than 400
authors, plus methods you won't find anywhere else for identifying ML
first editions. Check out
http://www.dogeared.com/General/howToSubscribe.html and kick in your
fair share.