DJ Project: Two more Dreisers

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Mon Sep 22 14:47:01 EDT 2003

Thanks to Barry for these.

  Here's a 1924 B-L Free (distinguished from the 1926 ML by the use of
upper & lower case caps in the bottom band).

Also, we have a 1943 Sister Carrie in a yellow jacket, distinguished
from the the red used on the later jacket.

Both images are here:

http://www.dogeared.com/authors/dAuthors/DreiserJackets.html

Barry makes the following argument for including this color variant
in the data base:

"The Sister Carrie in yellow is the same design as the later jacket
in red, but it seems to me that it's important to include color
changes in SUCCESSIVE jackets.  Not including color variants for
uniform typographic jackets, especially in the balloon cloth period,
makes excellent sense.  There each jacket was issued simultaneously
in different colors, and collectors are generally aware of that.  But
it's important to know when a deliberate change was made, and many
collectors will be interested in each successive jacket in which a ML
title was available."

--
Scot Kamins, ABR
Specializing in Brokerage Services for Home Buyers