Few bidders for Great Gatsby

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Sat Sep 20 09:31:48 EDT 2003

Scot Kamins wrote:

> Ther were only three (I think) regulars from this group who bid on the
> Gatsby. It finally went for UNDER $350. Granted, the jacket was only
> somewhere between G+ and VG-, but the book looked stable. The DJ had NO
> "Discontinued" stamp, although the book did have a remainder star.
>
> I had expected more bidding.

I expected high bids from non-ML Fitzgerald collectors.  If I
recall, a copy with a later DJ sold for over a $1000 awhile
back on ebay.  Maybe more of a question for rec.collect.books
as to why those folks were not bidding much.

I wonder if sometimes people ignore rare ML items on eBay as
they think they will be bid up out of their range - then, in
the end, the book ends up selling for a relatively low price.

eBay is also an imperfect market - I assume that people just
fail to see certain auctions.  I recently won a copy of Pearson's
'Studies in Murder' first edition, flex in a G+ DJ for $10 with
no other bids, and a hard cover copy of Hart's 'War in Outline
(w/ a G+ to VG DJ) for $4.  I like the fact that such ML bargains
are to be had on eBay, but I don't really understand why.

john k.