new find and 3 musketeers

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Sep 16 07:48:43 EDT 2003

All the first printings I've seen of the Le Clercq translation have 347
jackets, so this is new to me.  The new translation was published in
February 1950.  The lead time for printing jackets meant that many titles
published in January or even February had jackets with lists from the
preceding fall, which explains the 344 list.

I'd be interested to know if the list at the end of the volume is fall 1949
(includes Byron, Don Juan not James, Washington Square) or spring 1950
(includes James, Washington Square, not Alcott, Little Women).  I expect
it's the spring 1950 list.

I assume the jacket is the pictorial jacket used for the Le Clercq
translation, not the typographic jacket with the blue panel used on
post-1939 copies of the earlier translation (both are included in the ML
jacket database).

My guess is that only enough fall 1949 jackets were printed to supply
initial orders for the new translation.  If you could photocopy both sides
of the fall 1949 jacket (front panel and front flap & list inside the
jacket) and mail them to me, I'll include this in my bibliography.  (Address
is in the signature.)

Thanks for sharing this!