New Dogeared Article: 1928 & 1929 Gift Sets

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sat Nov 29 12:37:22 EST 2003

At 10:23 AM -0700 11/29/03, Ron Thoman wrote:

>I realize these are probably very rare, but can someone address how rare
>they are, as individual volumes, and as sets in their boxes.  I've never
>seen a real example of either.  And what would the values be on those?

The boxes are almost unknown. Barry reported seeing a crumbling box
on a trip he took within the last couple of years (memory fades -
mine, not his); I think he said that was the first set he had seen.
One was displayed at the Modern Library conference in Burbank in late
1999; that was the only box I've ever seen.

Individual volumes will pop up more frequently than sets, of course,
but they're quite scarce especially in jacket.

I think putting a price on them is quite difficult. Maybe Pete
Chocheles will take a stab at this one!

"Modern Library books are intended to be read and not just to be
stuck away in bookcases like old sets of Balzac and Victor Hugo..."
                    - Bennett Cerf