DISCONTINUED TITLE jackets

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed Nov 26 09:50:37 EST 2003

I've seen three ML jackets stamped DISCONTINUED TITLE:

Fitzgerald, Great Gatsy
Hearn, Some Chinese Ghosts
Roberts, Time of Man

All three were printed in 1939--after these titles were dropped from the series--and were presumably used to freshen stock sold as remainders.

Are there any other ML jackets stamped DISCONTINUED TITLE?  I'd be grateful to hear about them.  Other titles that may be possible candidates are those discontinued around the same time as Fitzgerald, Hearn and Roberts:

France, Red Lily
Gilbert, Pinafore
Hecht, Erik Dorn
Ibsen, Master Builder, etc.
Mann, Magic Mountain

I'm pretty sure Magic Mountain was never remaindered.  This sold so well in the ML that Knopf decided to publish a cheap edition himself and declined to renew the ML's reprint contract, though he did allow the ML a final printing of 10,000 copies.

Let me know if you have any other jackets stamped DISCONTINUED TITLE.

Barry

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Library and Information Science Program
Wayne State University
106 Kresge Library
Detroit MI 48202
313-577-0507 (voice); 313-577-7563 (fax)