2nd state DJ on every ML title?

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Wed Nov 26 09:28:00 EST 2003

Scot,

From: "Scot Kamins" <kamins at dogeared.com>
To: <modlib at algol.owu.edu>
Cc: "Gordon Neavill" <aa3401 at wayne.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: 2nd state DJ on every ML title?

> At 8:47 PM -0500 11/23/03, Gordon Neavill wrote:
> >
> >Exceptions such as Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby (which had a second printing
of
> >the jacket for remainder sales) are exceptional, not the norm.
>
> This raises several questions.
>
> 1) Are you saying that there was a 2nd printing of the Gatsby jacket
> just to go on unsold stock?

Yes--the second printing of the Gatsby jacket was fall 1939 (268
titles)--printed after Gatsby had been discontinued.

> 2) Were all 2nd printing DJs stamped "Discontinued Title?"

All of the Gatsby 2nd printing dj's I've seen were stamped "Discontinued
Title"; I've never seen a stamped 1st printing dj.

> 3) Does that mean that any that were NOT stamped were 1st printings?

Probably, but the most reliable way to identify the 1st Gatsby jacket is by
the fall 1934 list (225 titles with Heyward, Porgy but not Hamsun, Growth of
the Soil)