"Ho,ho.it's a pirates life for me"

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Mon Nov 24 16:13:07 EST 2003

JOSEPH HILL wrote:

> I do not believe that we have many pirate titles,as the  "real books"
> were so reasonable in price to begin with,thus a short list?
> This is what I have....I sure would like to know what  titles other
> collectors have.
> Al with DJ
> 1.) Three volume Gibbon
> 2.) Wisdom Of Confucius
> 3.) Wisdom Of Laotse
> 4.) Sons And Lovers
> 5.) War And Peace
> 6.) Brothers Karamazov
> 7.) The Complete Tales And Poems Of Edgar Allan Poe

I have three, two of them not in Joe's or Scot's collections.

Two of the books are very similar and probably from the
1960s (one has a gift inscription from 1968 and also notes
'Hong Kong'):

Confucious
The Best Short Stories of Maugham.

The third seems a bit older:

Hardy's "Tess of the D'urbevilles."

The latter has the Weber intro, so it is later than 1951.

All three have DJs based on the ML DJ, but with ML markings
removed.  The insides still have the ML markings (including
the reproduced Random House copyright on the Confucius).

The DJ on the Hardy proudly notes that the book is published
by 'Book World Co.' and includes an address in Taiwan.  The
back of the DJ lists other fine tiles (and their price) offered
by this cheeky publishing house, including some that are
problably ML pirates:

Hardy: Return of the Native
Hardy: Mayor of Casterbridge
Bronte: Jane Eyre
Hawthorne: Scarlet Letter
Austen: Pride and Prejudice
Dante: Divine Comedy
Homer: Illiad
Homer: Odyssey
Dickens: David Copperfield

The DJ also lists another dozen titles that were not in the ML,
and could have been Everyman's or other series pirates.  I
have seen a Everyman's pirate (Chinese Philosophy).

FAQ material if I ever saw it...

jk