real leather MLs?

John jwol at fast.net
Mon Nov 24 08:23:30 EST 2003

Any chance they were being offered by Mike & Lee, dealers from Long
Island who sell mostly at book fairs?  I saw those two at the
Cooperstown Book Fair in June but passed on the $20.00, I believe,
asking price.

As to alternate bindings, I found a hardcover copy of 131.2, Thackery's
Vanity Fair.  About the size of the number 7 covers, it has a black
leather spine with the title sideways, the author at the top and lines
at the top and bottom, all in guilt. The front cover has what appears to
be a fountain.  The "guts" of the book are the same as the ML with the
page opposite the title page indicating it was "Manufactured in the
United States of America    Bound for THE MODERN LIBRARY by J. Wolff"

John Wolansky

jwol at fast.net