2nd state DJ on every ML title?

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun Nov 23 13:04:11 EST 2003

Folks,

While Googling this morning, I found an article abiut the Modern
Library  written by ListServ apostate member Sam Gottlieb.

http://www.bibliodirect.com/article_display.php?ArticleID=15&start=1

One of the things he asserts in the article is the following: "I
believe every single book in the series (with the possible exceptions
of Illustrated ML titles and paperbacks) has both a first and
subsequent state(s) dust jacket."

He  also asserts that ML's edition of The African Queen by C. S.
Forester may be a true American first because it restores missing
chapters. (I remember asking about this on this ListServ some time
ago, but nobody knew anything about it.)

Comments on any of this?

"Modern Library books are intended to be read and not just to be
stuck away in bookcases like old sets of Balzac and Victor Hugo..."
                    - Bennett Cerf