Need help describing Blumenthal binding

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sat Nov 22 14:02:07 EST 2003

Folks,
I'm working on the Bindings section of the FAQ and I'm having a bit
of trouble describing the entry for Blumenthal bindings. Here's what
I've got, but I'm not sure if my cut-off date is accurate:

"Named for its designer Joseph Blumenthal, Blumenthal bindings were
used for all Modern Library regular issues in the period 1939-1963
(type 8 binding). The binding is composed of linen cloth over stiff
cardboard with sewn book blocks, Kent endpapers, and a characteristic
style of label and logo on both the spine and front cover."

(By the way, I'd include a scan or two but my scanner is dead. This
is also why I haven't been able to post some photos I have of some
early titles sent by Dave Menkin.)
--
"Scot Kamins, ABR
Specializing in Brokerage Services for Home Buyers