17.1 to 17.2

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Nov 8 13:07:44 EST 2003

Hardy's Mayor of Casterbridge was in the ML from 1917 to 1971.  There were two typesettings of the text (the last numbered page of the 1917 setting is 318; the last numbered page of the second setting is 432).  The earliest copy I've seen of the 432 p. typesetting is fall 1947.

The Kilmer introduction was used until 1950 or so.  The Chew introduction was written for ML College Editions (1950) and replaced the Kilmer introduction in the next printing in the regular ML.  The earliest printing of the regular ML I've seen with the Chew introduction is fall 1952.

Binding 8 is found on three variants: (1) 318 p. with Kilmer introduction; (2) 432 p. with Kilmer introduction; (3) 432 p. with Chew introduction.