Out of Africa -- second ML edition spotted? ANOTHER TWIST ..

John jwol at fast.net
Tue Nov 4 13:56:53 EST 2003

My FMLE of 23.2 states on the copyright page:

Copyright, 1938, 1952, by Random House, Inc.
First Modern Library Edition

Opposite the copyright page is the Latin "Equitare, Arcum tnedere,
Veritatem dicere"

A second copy I have, dating to 1959 states the following on the
copyright page:

Copyright, 1937. 1952, by Random House, Inc.

It also includes the Latin epigraph.

Notice the copyright date changed from 1937 to 1938 from the FMLE to the
reprint.  Otherwise, the editions are the same.

For comparison, the 1980's edition states:

Second Modern Library Edition
September 1983

Copyright 1937, 1938 bu Random House, Inc.
Copyright renewed 1965 by Rungstedludfonden.

The Library of Congress catalogue number has changed but the Latin
epigraph remains.

The pagination and the introduction are the same.  Does not look like a
different edition, just some copyright date changes.  Perhaps the copy
the individual has had the Latin page torn out or it was a manufacturing
flaw.

John Wolansky