FAQ Project: Need more feedback on "Toughest Titles"

Printmat at aol.com Printmat at aol.com
Mon Nov 3 15:50:51 EST 2003

I'm not sure differentiating scarcity from value in book-collecting terms is
all that easy. John Carter, in his ABC for Book Collectors, mentions "scarce"
only as a somewhat lesser form of "rare". One definition of "rare" he provides
is "important, desirable, and hard to get." Yes, there is one Gatsby in
first-issue DJ for sale on ABE. It's price is $2250. That represents 110.5 hours
spent at a $20/hour job (before taxes). I would call that hard to get.

But I agree that those listed are not necessarily "the toughest books to find
by far." Perhaps replace "toughest ... to find" with "most sought-after." And
maybe the forgotten, limited-run MLs (Jorn Uhl, et al.) deserve their own
Question?

Bob Riedel
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
42 Washington Street