FAQ Project: Need more feedback on "Toughest Titles"

Sharon Biederman sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu
Mon Nov 3 15:48:28 EST 2003

Scot,

    I agree with John.  Scarce and valuable are not the same although
sometimes the two overlap.  Estimates of value can be derived from recent
sales whereas estimates of scarcity can be made from records of original
print runs, number of copies in known collections and sometimes the age of
the book.  I think Henry's Guide already indicates that certain authors
command premium prices prices based not on scarcity but on the value of
the book OUTSIDE the world of Modern Library collecting.

    Citing categories of hard to find books is probably more useful than
mentioning individual titles.  There are hundreds of MLs that are scarce
for one reason or another and the choice of a few is very subjective.

                                 Sharon