Ibsen Confusion

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Mar 29 16:33:42 EST 2003

John Gabriel Borkman was added to ML 6 in 1935.  This manifestation of ML 6
remained in print through 1945 and exists in  balloon cloth and Blumenthal
formats.

The Master Builder replaced John Gabriel Borkman in spring 1946 and remained
in print until 1957, when the entire volume was replaced by Ibsen's Six
Plays, translated by Eva Le Gallienne (ML 6 and ML 305).  The text of the
volume was entirely reset in 1946 when The Master Builder replaced John
Gabriel Borkman.  H. L. Mencken's introduction (originally published in 1918
in ML 26, The Master Builder, Pillars of Society, Hedda Gabler, and later
included in the Giant Ibsen) was also added to the 1946 volume, thus
restoring it to the regular ML after an absence of nearly ten years.
Mencken's introduction was replaced in 1950 or shortly thereafter by Eric
Bentley's introduction, originally written for ML College Editions.

The Ibsen Giant (1935) was a repackaging of the three Ibsen volumes
originally published in the Boni & Liveright series, with the addition of
John Gabriel Borkman and Peer Gynt.  John Gabriel Borkman was added to ML 6
at the time the Giant was published.

ML 54, The Wild Duck, The League of Youth, Rosmersholm, was dropped from the
regular ML shortly before the Giant was published.  The last part of the
Giant consisted of the three plays in ML 54 plus Peer Gynt.  Somewhere I've
seen a reference to Peer Gynt being added to ML 54, but I'm pretty sure that
never happened--at least I've never seen a copy.  If Peer Gynt was added to
ML 54, it probably would have been in the final printing shortly before it
was dropped from the series.  If anyone has a copy of ML 54 with Peer Gynt,
please let me know!