Rainbow dust jacket

Matthew Buckingham mdbuckingham at msn.com
Mon Mar 17 00:22:40 EST 2003

I had a question that may have been answered before, but if you'll indulge me: I have a 1930 printing of The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence (binding No. 5, the grapevine spine) with 175 titles mentioned on the back panel. The book is just a fraction of an inch taller than other balloon cloth volumes (no more than 1/8"), but the dust jacket is regular size; in other words, it looks like someone "short-sheeted" the book. Did the publisher put short jackets on some books or am I the victim of a switched jacket?

Matt B.