ML 24, Ouida In a Winter City

DCHOCK7 at aol.com DCHOCK7 at aol.com
Sun Mar 16 18:30:20 EST 2003

Barry,
I've never seen a Ouida in an ML Inc. binding. My copy is a first printing
with the standard "BL" logo on the spine of the DJ and the title page. I have
never seen one with a cowled monk device either. Of course, jacketed copies
are so rare I'm not sure that means a lot.
Pete

<< Does anyone have Ouida, In a Winter City in a ML, Inc. binding (#4) or
jacket (Jacket 2 or 3)?

 In a Winter City was published by Boni & Liveright in 1923 and discontinued
by Cerf and Klopfer at the end of 1926.  I'm pretty sure Cerf and Klopfer
never made a printing of their own.  (Let me know if you have a copy with a
ML, Inc. title page with the Bernhard torchbearer!)

 I have seen B&L copies in ML, Inc. binding 4.  Most of the B&L stock Cerf
and Klopfer inherited was unbound; they sold these copies in their own
bindings (binding #4) and usually their own jackets (jacket #2 or 3).

 I've never seen In a Winter City in the ML, Inc. jacket (#2 or 3) and would
be grateful to know if anyone has one.

 I don't think B&L ever published In a Winter City with the monk device on
the title page.  Again, if you have one, please let me know!

 Many thanks,

 Barry

 Gordon B. Neavill
 Associate Professor
 Library and Information Science Program
 Wayne State University
 106 Kresge Library
 Detroit MI 48202
 313-577-0507 (voice); 313-577-7563 (fax)