Raisin In the Sun

Sharon Biederman sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu
Thu Mar 6 11:38:23 EST 2003

Gordon,

    The book's selection for the city-wide reading program will certainly
increase sales, but not necessarily value.  One assumes the ML
firsts of that title were initially distributed around the country, not
just sent to Chicago.  Most of the buyers in Chicago are merely looking
for a cheap reading copy, and don't care about which edition or printing
they read.  Therefore the number of printings may increase, with no
special demand for the earlier ones.  I've seen this phenomenon in some of
the original series hardcovers that were used as college textbooks,
particularly the anthologies.

                              Sharon