Raisin In the Sun

GrmChiTown at aol.com GrmChiTown at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 09:45:32 EST 2003

Hello, all.

Like several other cities, Chicago started a city-wide reading program about
a year ago, in which one book is chosen during a particular period of time
for book discussion groups around the city to read and discuss.  This has met
with widespread acceptance and has involved a large number of people.

The first book last year was "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.   The
current selection is "Raisin In the Sun" by Lorraine Hansberry.  The ML
connection is this.   A couple days ago I was shopping in my local
independent bookstore and they had the ML version of the book (the most
recent hardback series) on prominent display along side a trade paperback
version.  So this will most likely spike up sales of this book exponentially
in this significant market, especially given all the Chicago connections
intrinsic in the book.  Would it be too extreme to speculate that this might
be one current ML book that winds up being a collectible in future years? If
we apply the usual laws of supply and demand, would high sales to the reading
public yield an unusual demand for the same book in the future as a
collectible?  And if so, maybe this current series is worth at least an
honorable mention in paragraph form on an ML price list?

Best regards
Gordon R. McCoy