Remainder marks

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed Mar 5 19:44:45 EST 2003

At 4:59 PM -0700 3/5/03, Ron Thoman wrote:
>Is there a generally accepted rule among the ML group as to how remainder
>marks affect the value of a ML book?  Assuming, for example, that one had a
>VG/VG copy of a first that was valued at M in the Price Guide.  Could it be
>VG/VG if it had a remainder mark?

Technically, a remainder mark is a defect. So the briefest of
descriptions might be "remainder mark else VG/VG."

>And if not, how much would the remainder
>mark reduce the value?

Depends on the scarcity of the piece. I contend that a remainder mark
on any B-L wouldn't make any difference (if there were remainder
marks on any BL's, and I don't know if there were). A remainder mark
on Gatsby wouldn't make much difference either, except to those few
who knew that the vast majority of Gatsbys (Gatsbies?) had remainder
marks ("discontinued" stamp actually), and so one without a remainder
mark would be quite scarce - even rare - indeed.

>And does it matter what type remainder mark (i.e.
>stamped star vs magic marker slash) and/or where the mark is?

Definitely does to me!  A star or "discontinued" stamp is far
preferable to the disfigurement of the magic marker slash.

--

Regards,

Residential Real Estate Broker in Portland Oregon
Bringing a New Level of Integrity to the Real Estate Industry
(503) 997 0199