Foxing, Cocking, and Skewing?

Allbooks at aol.com Allbooks at aol.com
Tue Mar 4 13:21:42 EST 2003

In a message dated 3/3/2003 8:33:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
GOODBOOKS at webtv.net writes:

> Gee,what a great response to my question?!! (over a dozen)
> I am glad I did not inquire about cocking.
> (The spine of the book is out of alignment,backwards or forwards.)
>
> SPECIALIZE IN MODERN LIBRARY AND EVERYMAN'S LIBRARY BOOKS

Since you asked---

Cocked is what results from sitting on the shelf in a leaning position for a
long time.  A multidimensional misalignment.  It's hard to correct except
perhaps by reversing the lean for a long time.

Skewed, OTOH, is a parallelogram shape usually resulting from reading from
front to rear with pages fully opened, but without breaking the book in like
they taught you in school, working from both covers simultaneously toward the
center.  Reportedly it can be corrected by fully opening the book but from
rear toward the front, page by page, essentially reversing the original
process.

Or are these two the other way round?

Foxing seems to be characteristic only of cheap wood pulp paper.  100% rag
can last for centuries and look brand new.

(Foxing is also a problem with art prints.  It can transfer from acidic mat
material as well.  Those who know how are able to bleach it out of prints.
Sometimes this can be done for illustrations in books, which involves
removing the print and then carefully remounting it in the book after
bleaching.  This probably should be done only by a professional
conservationist.)

Was there an identifiable decision point at which foxing became common in
Modern Library books?  A change in the characteristics of the paper?

Cheers,
Don Ramsey
ALL BOOKS CONSIDERED   www.AllBooksConsidered.com
10408 Montgomery Ave., Kensington MD 20895
(301) 929-0036