david medsker dsmedsker at
Mon Mar 3 14:36:32 EST 2003

I had always assumed foxing was another form of dogearing, you know, like 
in, "the page corners were more fox-eared than dog-eared". The smartest 
people always ask the best questions, ay? dohhhhhhhhh.(Homer Simpson noise 

david m.

----Original Message Follows----
In a message dated 3/3/2003 1:25:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kamins at writes:

 > At 12:35 PM -0500 3/3/03, GrmChiTown at wrote:
 > >Please help this novice.  What is meant by foxing?
 > >
 > Ugly brown spots on the pages - sometimes on the edges of the
 > bookblock as well - caused sometimes by spurious organic doodads
 > (molds, fungus, etc) but more often by iron oxide left in the paper
 > pulp due to insufficient washing - essentially, the book is rusting!
 > --
 > Regards,
 > Scot Kamins

It has been ventured that it is called foxing because it looks like a fox 
run across the page with muddy feet.  I have no corroboration of this 
but it'll do until a better one surfaces (pardon the pun).


Don Ramsey
10408 Montgomery Ave., Kensington MD 20895
(301) 929-0036

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE*

More information about the ModLib mailing list