Allbooks at Allbooks at
Mon Mar 3 14:18:42 EST 2003

In a message dated 3/3/2003 1:25:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
kamins at writes:

> At 12:35 PM -0500 3/3/03, GrmChiTown at wrote:
> >Please help this novice.  What is meant by foxing?
> >
> Ugly brown spots on the pages - sometimes on the edges of the 
> bookblock as well - caused sometimes by spurious organic doodads 
> (molds, fungus, etc) but more often by iron oxide left in the paper 
> pulp due to insufficient washing - essentially, the book is rusting!
> -- 
> Regards,
> Scot Kamins

It has been ventured that it is called foxing because it looks like a fox has 
run across the page with muddy feet.  I have no corroboration of this notion, 
but it'll do until a better one surfaces (pardon the pun).


Don Ramsey  
10408 Montgomery Ave., Kensington MD 20895 
(301) 929-0036
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

More information about the ModLib mailing list