Foxing?

Allbooks at aol.com Allbooks at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 14:18:42 EST 2003

In a message dated 3/3/2003 1:25:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kamins at dogeared.com writes:

> At 12:35 PM -0500 3/3/03, GrmChiTown at aol.com wrote:
> >Please help this novice.  What is meant by foxing?
> >
> Ugly brown spots on the pages - sometimes on the edges of the
> bookblock as well - caused sometimes by spurious organic doodads
> (molds, fungus, etc) but more often by iron oxide left in the paper
> pulp due to insufficient washing - essentially, the book is rusting!
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Scot Kamins

It has been ventured that it is called foxing because it looks like a fox has
run across the page with muddy feet.  I have no corroboration of this notion,
but it'll do until a better one surfaces (pardon the pun).

Cheers,

Don Ramsey
ALL BOOKS CONSIDERED   www.AllBooksConsidered.com
10408 Montgomery Ave., Kensington MD 20895
(301) 929-0036