Pricing recent MLs

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Mar 2 15:39:44 EST 2003

The Price Guide is intended for ML collectors, so my recommendation would be
to limit coverage to ML books that collectors are currently interested in.

I've made no systematic attempt to keep up with ML books published since the
1992 relaunch.  It would be good if some ambitious person would attempt to
do so.  Many of the titles published since 1992 already exist in several
variants.  Jackets have changed frequently, usually to take advantage of
media tie-in opportunities.  The content of the books--especially the
preliminaries--has also been revised regularly.  Changes in content result
in new ISBN's.  For example, we have the 1996 ML edition of Joseph
Mitchell's JOE GOULD'S SECRET with one ISBN and the 2000 edition (with the
motion picture tie-in jacket) with a different ISBN.  The new ISBN reflects
the addition of  William Maxwell's Introduction and perhaps also the
revision and resetting of the biographical note on pp. v-vii.  Just tracking
the changes in ML titles published since 1992 will be a complex and
challenging undertaking.  A great project for somebody, and perhaps a great
service to the next generation of ML collectors.  But probably not essential
to the next edition of the Price Guide.