the newest modern library series

Richard Ugland ugland.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jun 20 15:41:52 EDT 2003

I share some of the concerns recently expressed about the production
quality of the volumes in the latest modern library series, which
resurrected our beloved ML in 1992.  But what really delighted me about the
message was that someone was talking about the new series at all.  Sure,
there have been comments on it from time to time, but for the most part the
series seems to be greeted by those on this list--a couple of exceptions
noted--with indifference at best and disdain at worst.  Thankfully, Henry
does pay it deserved attention in the price guide.

I for one have been thrilled that the ML is back.  Sure, I quibble with
some of the title selection, and, yes, it took some time to accept the
jacket design, which apes the Library of America jackets for pedestrianism,
but we should cheer the multiple printings many titles already have had,
and wish the new series well.  For even if one doesn't collect it, one can
hope that it will spark interest in a new generation of collectors for the
older series.

Rich