Wuthering Heights, Jan. 1926

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Jun 12 14:46:24 EDT 2003

B&L listed projected ML titles on jackets and lists at the end of the books.
Some of them (like Wuthering Heights) came out late; several never appeared
at all and constitute "ghost" titles.  Wuthering Heights was originally
announced for publication in May 1925 but didn't appear until January 1926.
The delay was Rose Macaulay's fault--she agreed to write the introduction
and was late submitting it.  Cerf tried to call on her about the
introduction when he was in England in summer 1925 but was unable to see
her.  He wrote her in August 1925 when he returned to New York.

Macaulay's introduction for the ML is a shorter version of her introduction
to the Traveller's Library edition of the book, published in England early
in 1926 by Jonathan Cape.  Interestingly, the ML typesetting of the text is
identical to that of the Traveller's Library edition--Cerf must have worked
out a deal with Cape to buy a duplicate set of the Traveller's Library
plates.

Incidentally, I've never seen a jacketed copy of the first ML printing
(January 1926) of  Wuthering Heights, which misspells Macaulay's name on the
title page ("Macauley") a has the First ML Edition statement on the verso.
If anyone has this, I'd like to date the jacket and confirm that the front
panel text is the same as the later jackets I've seen.