B&L and early ML jackets for WINESBURG, OHIO

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Jun 12 12:49:50 EDT 2003

Does anyone have Anderson's WINESBURG, OHIO in a Boni & Liveright jacket (Dj 1) or early ML jacket (DJ 2 or 3)?

The only B&L jacket I've seen is on the one on the website and it's too small for me to read the front panel text.  I transcribe the front panel text in my bibliography and need a legible photocopy.

I've seen clipped front panel text from an early ML jacket (DJ 2 or 3) that I've transcribed, but I can't date it without a list of titles.  If you have this and can safely photocopy the front panel along with the list of titles, I'd be very grateful.  Otherwise could you just photocopy the front panel, and we can figure out the date by email.

The B&L jacket text on the website and the text from the early ML jacket I've seen are different--which is unusual.  Anderson complained to Liveright about the B&L jacket text in February 1924, and Liveright promised to change it in the next printing--so it's possible that a late B&L jacket could have different text from the 1923 jacket on the website.  If you have a late B&L jacket that appears to be different from the 1923 jacket on the website, please let me know!

Many thanks,

Barry

Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor
Library and Information Science Program
Wayne State University
106 Kresge Library
Detroit MI 48202
313-577-0507 (voice); 313-577-7563 (fax)