DJ Project: Additions, plus some important notes on color variations

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed Jun 4 23:01:09 EDT 2003

John Krygier sent/suggested these images:
Henry James, "Daisy Miller & AN International Episode" 1925
http://www.dogeared.com/authors/jAuthors/jamesHJackets.html

Dorothy Parker, "Collected Poetry" 1958
http://www.dogeared.com/authors/pAuthors/parkerJackets.html

Here's a color variation sent by Barry Neavill:
Max Beerbohm, "Zuleika Dobson" 1965
http://www.dogeared.com/authors/bAuthors/beerbohmJackets.html

Ordinarily I don't include color variations in the database, but
Barry made this rather persuasive argument and included some
important comments we all should know about:

I think color differences are significant.  Most collectors would
probably like to know that a jacket was redesigned (color is part of
design) and in particular which design came first.   For example, the
Bergson jacket I sent (orange and black) is identical, except for
color, to the more common gray and black jacket that was already
posted.  The first printing had the orange jacket; later
printings had the gray.  . . . (I agree that there's no point to
posting multiple colors of the typographic jackets used on balloon
cloth volumes.  In this case, each jacket came in more than one
color; it wasn't a matter of redesigning the jacket.)

Another issue I wanted to raise concerns the brighter jackets on
coated paper that began to be used in 1937 on most of the new balloon
cloth titles and a few of the older ones.  Most of the brighter
jackets on coated paper were created when the ML switched to the
larger Blumenthal format beginning in fall 1939, but several were
introduced on balloon cloth volumes and then enlarged for the
Blumenthal volumes.  In a few cases the balloon cloth and Blumenthal
binding versions had minor design variants.  The jacket for
Huxley's Point Counter Point, for example, included the initials McKK
(McKnight Kauffer, the designer) in the balloon cloth version and
omitted them in the enlarged version.  In most cases, the jackets
were enlarged without significant changes (Cellini's Autobiography,
Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat).  It seems to me that collectors would
like to know *all* the jackets that balloon cloth volumes came in.
At present if you show a jacket from a Blumenthal volume (such as the
1941 jacket for Louys' Aphrodite) there's no way of knowing that it
was also used on later balloon cloth printings.  The 1939 Cellini
jacket you show happens to be from a balloon cloth volume, but this
isn't clear since the change to the larger format took place in fall
1939.

There aren't many jackets where the color changed; most of these
(like the Beerbohm) date from the mid and late 1960s.  Jackets that
were used on both later balloon cloth and Blumenthal volumes (again,
there aren't that many) could have two dates, one indicated use on
balloon cloth, the other on the Blumenthal format.

Unless Barry objects, I'm going to add these comments (credited, of
course) to the introductory page of the DJ project at Dogeared.

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security are deserving of
neither liberty nor security."
                      - after Benjamin Franklin