designers

Matthew Buckingham mdbuckingham at msn.com
Mon Jul 21 02:23:21 EDT 2003

I prefer Paul Galdone myself, but J. Godsey's statement raises an interesting question that I've been pondering for a while: What, in collectors' opinions, are the Top 10 Modern Library Dust Jackets of All Time? Here, in no particular order, are my nominees:

Kim by Rudyard Kipling
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (1933)
A Passage to India by E.M. Forster (1946)
The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski
Sanctuary by William Faulkner (1934)
Black Narcissus by Rumer Godden
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Ben Hur by Lew Wallace
Two Years Before the Mast by Richard H. Dana (1945)
The Pathfinder by James Fenimore Cooper