[Fwd: Oxford World Classics anyone?]

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Jul 15 11:21:35 EDT 2003

At 8:41 AM -0400 7/15/03, J Godsey wrote:
>  > Here I thought that MA was the center of the universe at least as far as
>>  books and stuff like that are concerned.
>>
>>  Next you'll there are Harvard students who don't read.
>

>no no no ...
>boston is the HUB of the universe.

Well, at least as far as education and traditional culture is
concerned. And it certainly is true that the Merrimack Valley (about
30 miles NW of Boston just south of the New Hampshire border) is not
exactly a center of literary fervor! Lowell and Lawrence were mill
towns, booming (so to speak) from the American c war period up to
around the turn of the 20th century when all the mills headed South.
For the last 100 years the entire area has been a pit. For about 20
years (1980-2000 or so) there was a mini-electronics boom, but it
went the way of the stock market.

(BTW, my dates may be mixed up; it's been a while since this stuff
was fresh in my head.)
Full Service Broker
(with Scott Trahan Realty Brokerage, Portland OR)
"I Listen."
(503) 997-0199