Gautier expurgation

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Jul 5 11:17:23 EDT 2003

The ML edition of Gautier's Mademoiselle de Maupin published in 1918 was
bowdlerized.  The ML used the translation first published in London by
Vizetelly & Co. in 1887.  Following the sentence in chatper 16, "He took up
the fair one in his arms and bore her to the couch", the Vizetelly edition
prints three lines of asterisks.  Each line of asterisks represents an
omitted paragraph.  ML printings included the three lines of asterisks until
1935, when "One of Cleopatra's Nights" was added to the ML edition.  By
then, the recent Ulysses decision had opened the door to more explicit
descriptions of sex in literary works, and Cerf and Klopfer commissioned a
translation of the omitted paragraphs.  The new content appears on pp.
289-90 of Mademoiselle de Maupin & One of Cleopatra's Nights.