DJ Project: Unique 1928 text design pair

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Jul 1 10:03:27 EDT 2003

Rabelais and France's Revolt of the Angels were the first ML titles
published in fall 1928 (September).  The more familiar redesigned jacket was
first used in October.  I've seen Rabelais and Revolt of the Angels in both
styles of jacket, each with a fall 1928 list.  The main difference between
the jackets is the solid band at the top and bottom.  My assumption is that
when the ML settled on the final design of the new jacket, they rejacketed
remaining copies of the two September titles.  These copies are first
printings of the books, but the jackets aren't the first in which those
titles were issued.