Outline of Abnormal Psychology

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Mon Jan 27 07:52:28 EST 2003

Balloon cloth bindings were available in four colors: red, blue, green, and
brown or mauve.  The uniform typographic jackets were also available in
different colors.

Kent's binding design was first used for The Brothers Karamazov, published
in February/March 1929.  Copies of the first printing of Brothers Karamazov
are also found in a balloon cloth version of Henry's binding 4.  Kent's
endpapers were first used in summer 1929; the first title with the Kent
endpapers was Petronius's Satyricon.  Initially the endpapers also came in
different colors, but this luxury was abandoned after a few months.  I have
four jacketed copies of Huysman's Against the Grain (the last title
published in 1930), each in a different color binding--but by this time
endpapers in different colors had been abandoned.

An Outline of Abnormal Psychology was published in February/March 1929.  My
copy (which lacks a jacket) is in the balloon cloth version of binding 4
with the Bernhard endpapers, and has a First statement on the verso.  John's
copies aren't first printings but appear to have first printing jackets
(spring 1929 lists include Dostoyevsky, Brothers Karamazov but not Chaucer,
Canterbury Tales).  There must have been extra copies of the first jacket
that were used on copies of the second printing.  Pete Chocheles's copy of
O'Neill's Emperor Jones & The Straw currently on eBay is a similar
situtation: a second printing (with the "First" statement retained on the
verso) in a first printing jacket.