eBay Gasp

GrmChiTown at aol.com GrmChiTown at aol.com
Tue Jan 21 22:05:52 EST 2003

Folks,

I wonder if this is part of a phenomenon that might be underway because of
the movie "The Hours," based on the book by the same name by Michael
Cunningham which is based in turn on Virginia Woolf's "Mrs. Dalloway."  The
popularity of this movie and book could be creating a demand for related
materials on the part of people who are new to the field of book collecting
but who have developed a strong relationship (politer than saying
"obsession") with all things Dalloway.

Virginia Woolf seems to have sort of a cult following in some circles.  There
was also a novel -- and in my opinion, quite a good one -- titled "Mr.
Dalloway" by Robin Lippincott published in 1999 and full of "woolfian
sentences and moments" as described by one reviewer.

I myself had not been that familiar with "Mrs. Dalloway" until I read Mr.
Lippincott's "Mr. Dalloway" as a local book club activity.  One thing led to
another, I bought Mr. Cunningham's "The Hours," and became much more aware of
Virginia Woolf's life and also her tragic death.

It might be worthwhile to take extra notice of all things Woolfian in ML for
awhile, especially now that the movie "The Hours" is winning awards (Golden
Globe) and that in turn will lead to increased book sales, and, and...   Just
a thought. What do you think folks?

PS.  Good thing I got lucky and found a 1925 ML "Mrs. Dalloway" in a local
resale shop last year before all this got started.  Life is good.

Best regards,
Gordon R. McCoy